- Blue Monday won’t get us down as just 5% expect to feel blue next week!
- We’re waving goodbye to the gloom of 2016 and taking steps for a positive for 2017
- Jet2holidays forecasts record booking numbers over weekend and into Blue Monday
This Monday (January 16) is widely regarded as the most depressing day of the year, but new research from leading package holiday specialist Jet2holidays suggests that holidaymakers in Northern Ireland are taking it in their stride this year by throwing off the memory of a gloomy 2016 and taking steps to have a happy and action-packed 2017.
With a quarter (24%) of people in Northern Ireland questioned saying they are glad to see the back of 2016, just 5% expect to feel down on Blue Monday. Instead, 59% report that far from feeling blue, they are approaching the day feeling happy for the year ahead, as they move on from the gloom of last year and make positive changes for a happier and healthier year. Over a third (36%) of those surveyed in Northern Ireland claim that they’ve never even heard of Blue Monday.
Figures show that as well as getting fit, taking up new hobbies, and eating well this month, 60% of people will waste no time in booking a holiday, with 10% even jetting off somewhere in January. This is backed up by Jet2holidays data, with the company expecting record-breaking booking numbers over the weekend and into Monday.
The survey of 2,000 adults, shows that over a third (35%) of people are booking beach holidays in January –with Majorca, Spain and the Canary Islands the favourites for people flying from Belfast International according to Jet2holidays. What’s more, it seems our sense of adventure is stronger than ever in 2017, with more than half of local holidaymakers (52%) planning to experience new destinations.
TV psychologist Honey Langcaster-James commented: “The start of January is traditionally seen as a fresh start with new ambitions set and life-affirming initiatives started. Unfortunately, the winter weather, the long period between pay cheques and the return to the daily grindstone has previously meant that by mid-January people tend not to feel as positive as they did.
“However, this research suggests that we are more resilient and motivated than ever to take action to make our own happiness. Starting a new hobby, getting fit and planning things to look forward to such as trying a new holiday destination is a great way of shunning those January blues.”
Planning a holiday is cited as the fifth most popular activity to do in January, which is supported by Jet2holidays bookings. The company is predicting a fourfold increase on normal booking volumes, a significant increase on peak periods last year. In response, the company has increased capacity in its call centre and online and social media teams.
Zoe Towers, Head of Product at Jet2holidays added: “This time of year has always been a popular time for bookings, but this year we’re expecting a surge of bookings over the weekend and into Monday. We’ve prepared for this demand by increasing the number of customer support staff, both in our call centres as well as in our online and social teams to help with enquiries.
“This year seems to be a year of exploration for people in Northern Ireland, as they get to well-known hotspots as well as new destinations. With this appetite to get out, do things and see the world it means that the phrase ‘Blue Monday’ feels a bit wide of the mark this year, and this research certainly shows that.”
For more information and to book please visit www.jet2holidays.com
A Few Facts about Jet2.com
- Jet2.com is a leading leisure airline providing friendly low fares to 67 exciting sun, city and ski destinations across Europe. It operates from nine UK airports: Belfast International, Birmingham, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, London Stansted, Manchester and Newcastle.
- Jet2.com prides itself on offering award winning customer service, friendly flight times, allocated seating, a generous 22kg baggage allowance and 0% credit card, debit card and AMEX fees.
- Jet2.com is the 4th largest registered airline in the UK and currently operates a fleet of 59 aircraft (as of 2nd November 2016). By August 2017 the fleet size will be 74.
- In September 2016, Jet2.com took delivery of a brand new Boeing 737-800 aircraft. This is the first of 34 new aircraft to be delivered before early 2019.
- Jet2.com is the only UK airline to be awarded with Which? ‘Recommended Provider’ status in its annual Airline Survey (December 2016) and has scooped a host of prestigious awards, with the most recent ones including: UK’s Top Airline as voted for by Trip Advisor users, UK’s Most Loved Airline as voted for by users of Skytrax, Airline of the Year award at the Glasgow Airport Awards 2016, Best Holiday Airline at the Scottish Passenger Agents Association Awards 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016, Best Short Haul Airline at the Globe Travel Awards 2012, 2013 & 2014 and Best Airline at the Group Leisure Awards 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2016.
- It is a subsidiary of Dart Group PLC, an aviation services and distribution group.
- For further information visit www.jet2.com
- Jet2holidays provides great value package holidays you can trust to more than 40 top sun destinations across the Mediterranean, Canary Islands and Europe.
- Jet2holidays wraps everything up in one great package. Customers have a choice of thousands of 2-5 star hotels, with Jet2.com flights, an industry leading 22kg baggage allowance and airport transfers included.
- Infants go free on all holidays and all holidays can be secured with a low £60 per person deposit and 0% credit card, debit card and AMEX fees.
- With a UK based call centre, and the option to book online or over the phone, Jet2holidays customers also benefit from 24 hour assistance in resort.
- Jet2holidays is ATOL protected and is a subsidiary of Dart Group PLC, an aviation services and distribution group.
- Jet2holidays has won a range of awards, with the most recent ones including: Best Overall Operator and Best Mainstream Short Haul Tour Operator at the Scottish Passenger Agents’ Association Awards 2015 and 2016, and Best Package Tour Operator and Best Internet Booking System at the Northern Ireland Travel & Tourism Awards 2016.
- For further information visit www.jet2holidays.com. Travel agents can visit the dedicated trade site trade.jet2holidays.com
- Jet2CityBreaks is Jet2’s dedicated city breaks product launched in May 2015.
- Jet2CityBreaks provides Jet2.com flights and handpicked hotels in more than 26 of Europe’s most popular cities, all secured with a low £60 per person deposit.
- All Jet2CityBreaks are ATOL protected.
- Jet2CityBreaks won Best European Short Break Provider at the Scottish Passenger Agents’ Association Awards 2016.
- For further information visit www.jet2citybreaks.com